Keyway Milling of a Stainless Steel Auger for the Food Processing Industry
(Click on thumbnail to enlarge)
This auger keyseat miller was designed for a customer in the food processing equipment manufacturing industry. Our task at National Machine Tool Company was to design an develop a tool to mill 6 slots 60 degrees apart beginning 5" down in the part. Our solution was to create a unique keyseat miller designed with a side location guide 60˚ from the center line of the cutter. We milled the first slot conventionally, and attached the location guide and rotated the tool 60˚. The location guide slides into the first slot milled and the process is repeated until all 6 slots are complete. This process is completed using our CNC milling and turning capabilities in addition to precision grinding. The finished keyway dimensions were .5” in width and a depth of .187" with radius ARC. The customer supplied drawings called out the use of 440 stainless steel and was manufactured within a tolerance of ±.0002". Extensive visual and dimensional inspections were conducted to ensure quality and functionality of the part. This project highlights our ability to design a tool to index radiused slots in blind bores.
For more information on this project, or the processes involved to manufacture it, see the table below or contact us directly.
Keyway Milling of a Stainless Steel Auger Project Highlights
- Product Name
- Auger Keyseat Miller
- Problem Description
- Part required 6 slots 60 degrees apart beginning 5 inches down in the part
- Special Keyseat Miller designed with side location guide 60 degrees from the centerline of cutter-mill first slot conventionally-attach location guide-rotate tool 60 degrees-location guide slides into first slot milled-process is repeated until all six slots are complete
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Product Development/Design
- CNC Milling
- Keyway Dimensions
- Width: 0.500"
Depth: 0.187" with Radius ARC
- Tightest Tolerances
- Within 0.0002"
- Material Cut
- 440 Stainless Steel
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Dimensional Inspection, Visual Inspection, Functionality
- Industry for Use
- Food Processing Equipment Manufacturing
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- Stock Items: 2 - 3 Days
Custom Items: 2 - 3 Weeks
- Delivery Location
- Nationwide / Worldwide
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications, 2D CAD Drawing
View Other Keyseat Millers
Back to Top