Keyway Milling of an Aluminum Bearing for a Parts Manufacturing Company
(Click on thumbnail to enlarge)
At National Machine Tool Company, we provide versatile tool designs for multiple applications. This project involved the manufacturing of a bearing keyseat miller for a customer in the parts manufacturing industry. This customer had 4 keyways 90˚ apart in a blind bore without a relief hole to break into. Our solution at NMT was to design and develop a special keyseat miller designed with a center mounted cutter. This cutter would mill two slots in one pass into the bore utilizing climb milling and conventional milling. The customer would then index the part and repeat the process and mill the other two slots. In addition to CNC milling and turning, we also utilized our grinding applications to manufacture the keyseat miller. The keyway dimensions were .215" in width with a depth of .100". The customer provided drawings called out the use of aluminum material and manufactured to tolerances o ±.0002" for this single unit. Functionality testing in addition to dimensional and visual inspections was completed to verify accuracy. This project highlights our versatility of tool design in a blind bore with multiple indexed slots.
For more information on our keyway mill tooling project or the processes involved to manufacture it, see the table below, or contact us directly.
Keyway Milling of an Aluminum Bearing Project Highlights
- Product Name
- Bearing Keyseat Miller
- Problem Description
- 4 keyways 90° apart in blind bore without a relief hole to break into
- Special Keyseat miller designed with center mounted cutter to mill two slots in one pass into the bore utilizing climb milling and conventional milling-customer then indexed the part, repeated the process and milled the other two slots
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Product Development/Design
- CNC Milling
- Keyway Dimensions
- Width: 0.215"
- Tightest Tolerances
- Within 0.0002"
- Material Cut
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Dimensional Inspection, Visual Inspection, Functionality
- Industry for Use
- Parts Manufacturing
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- Stock Items: 2- 3 Days
Custom Items: 2 - 3 Weeks
- Delivery Location
- Nationwide / Worldwide
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications, 2D CAD Drawing
View Other Keyseat Millers
Back to Top